Sunday, December 16, 2012

Teaching Kids the Spirit of Giving

My husband and I have been trying to think of the best way to teach our children that giving is better than receiving.
We have decided to give each child $5 to spend at the dollar store.
They get to thoughtfully peruse the entire store, searching for the perfect $1 gift for each person in our family.

Watching them shop is so interesting, and reflective of their personalities!

My daughter, our oldest child at almost 9 years old, wanted to get that PERFECT gift for her daddy and brothers. She was very thoughtful before she picked anything out, she had to mull it over in her mind to make sure they were the BEST gifts possible.

My middle child, age 6, spent as little time as possible picking things out. He found something that he liked for each person in the first row of the store and said, "Okay, I'm done!"

My youngest,age 4-1/2, decided he wanted to shop for himself, and that everyone would love what he likes. He headed straight for the toys, and picked out something he wanted. I had to encourage him to think about what the people he was buying for would pick out. Once he actually stopped to think about the people he loves, he did very well!

Everyone gives and receives presents worth only $1, but the spirit of giving, and the thought behind the gifts, goes a long way to say "I LOVE YOU"!

No comments:

Post a Comment